Where Kathleen adores the minuette, the Ballet Russes and Crepes Suzette, well, Robin loves her rock and roll, a not-dog makes her lose control -- what a crazy pair!

Monday, February 28, 2005

alone again, naturally

I know what Kathleen means, about not knowing what you’ve got till it’s gone. It’s a classic North Carolina winter day – 42 degrees and raining. If this were snow, we’d be in trouble. Unfortunately, this comes off a mostly warm winter (excepting a few weeks of bitter, nose-freezing cold). When I’ve mostly gotten used to sun and springlike temperatures, this weather stinks.
Fishel, our local TV weather geek, swore that by noon this stuff would be tapering off to a slight drizzle. Well, friends, it’s 12:11 by my computer and it’s only getting wetter and wetter. Looks like Fishel’s jumping into the fountain tonight.
Jumping into the fountain is Fishel’s shtick. When he makes a weather-related promise that he’s sure he can keep, he says that if it doesn’t come true, he’ll jump into the fountain in front of the TV station. Usually these promises have to do with snow; he’s a snow lover, and he roots openly for snow on the news. He swore that if we didn’t have significant snow or ice accumulation by the end of Feb. 28, he would jump into the fountain. So, it looks like he’s going in.
This is so goofy, the thought of a grown man jumping around in the freezing cold water in his suit and tie, all because of a very public promise he made. It’s the kind of thing that happens here. People keep their promises, or else. Does that happen in Denver? I’m sure nobody promises to jump in fountains – too cold.

I hope they post footage of Fishel in the Fountain on the Web site, so Steve can see it. He left yesterday morning amid open weeping from all of us. As much as I want to stay until the end of the school year, I don’t think we’ll make it. It’s a distraught house. The girls are doing the best they can, trying to be resilient, and probably doing a better job at it than I am. Steve’s got it bad too – he watched the Oscars last night. He hates the Oscars; he knows I love the Oscars. His first day of work is tomorrow. I hope he likes it. No: I hope he loves it.
The kids’ pediatrician brought up the point that if they start school soon in Denver, they might make friends they can play with over the summer, and it will make the adjustment easier. I hadn’t thought of that. As much as it pains me to say goodbye here, I don’t think our family can handle a prolonged separation.
Besides, I can always visit Fishel online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home