Where Kathleen adores the minuette, the Ballet Russes and Crepes Suzette, well, Robin loves her rock and roll, a not-dog makes her lose control -- what a crazy pair!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Happy New Year

Today I was taking the 2 train to work in the early afternoon, a not very crowded train at this time, when a Hasidic man in the usual frock coat, and with a red beard, appeared, passing out a pamphlet titled "L'Chaim" ("The Weekly Publication for Every Jewish Person -- Dedicated to the Memory of Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka Schneerson"). Being even more inclusive than the subtitle promised, he gave a copy to everyone in the car, including me, which is why I am able to post it now.

But it was what happened next that tested my resolve as a New Yorker to never stare.

"Are you Jewish?" he asked the young man sitting one indentation away from me on the same side of the car. Apparently getting a silent assent (I wasn't staring) he put down a plastic bag of something on in the indented space-seat between me and the young man. Still standing, he swiftly drew out of the bag the little ribbon thing, wrapped it around the surprised young man's arm, said some things in Hebrew (as I suppose), pulled out the little boxy thing, placed it on the man's head, and said some more things in Hebrew (as I suppose). Then he disentangled the apparatus of worship, packed it up again, and announced to the car generally:

"The Messiah is coming....very soon! Let us all do good things in the meantime."

All this, between Chambers and 14th Street!

"Happy New Year!" he said. And was gone.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

What a beautiful thing! The picture you paint! Oh, to write like you, Miss Kathleen.

11:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home