Where Kathleen adores the minuette, the Ballet Russes and Crepes Suzette, well, Robin loves her rock and roll, a not-dog makes her lose control -- what a crazy pair!

Monday, May 16, 2005

are we having fun yet?

So, we are here. I will say more later, as I'm at a coffee shop, and they're about to close, and I have many more online-related tasks that I must perform before I go back to my nonline home. I will talk about the hideous move, the three-and-a-half day trip with half a mannequin in the front seat, waking up to snow on May 1, being so high in the air it made my bones hurt, and all the other things that are making my Denver what it is.
Funny, this place. A lot like Raleigh in many respects, only bigger. We live in what in Raleigh would be Five Points, which is not far from bizzaro Hayes Barton and the Country Club and tony Cameron Village, only here they call it Cherry Creek. We're also within walking distance from Pullen Park, which here is called Washington Park (or "Wash Park" if you've gone native). Downtown, it's more like Durham, with labyrinthine, narrow one-way streets that come in at cockeyed angles and make you feel as if you're about to be hit from five different directions at once. The Whole Foods here is so snooty, it has valet parking! I prefer Wild Oats, which is pretty much Whole Foods with fewer crowds and less holier-than-thou attitude. Denver is nice, but the Wash Park area, where I am, has this pretentious patina that makes me miss home, and Southern accents, and even "W" stickers to remind us all that despite our differences, we can all just get along.

I had a dream about Kathleen a few nights ago. She, I, and some of our friends from The N&O got together in Brooklyn to see her new neighborhood. Of course, we were in the Brooklyn of my dreams, with dingy alleys, wrought-iron staircases, window boxes with geraniums, and a gentle spring breeze. I hope life is so nice right now for Kathleen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home