Where Kathleen adores the minuette, the Ballet Russes and Crepes Suzette, well, Robin loves her rock and roll, a not-dog makes her lose control -- what a crazy pair!

Monday, June 06, 2005

the weather here

Hot, relentlessly hot all day, and now rain and thunder in the skies over Brooklyn. It is not hot like North Carolina, the relentless humidity that oozes into everything. This is a different kind of heat, characterized by the pervasive smell of garbage and the awareness that you are surrounded by miles and miles of concrete, all sucking up the heat and bouncing it back at you. And yet, unlike North Carolina, there is always a breeze from time to time, cool shade behind tall buildings, the bliss of an air-conditoned subway car. (Here A/C is something a bit exotic and not quite trusted, not the necessity of life it is in the South.) And when the rain comes, the temperature drops, at once, like a miracle. I was always expecting that in the South, always perplexed that it could rain and be just as hot, and actually more humid.
At my window, I look out on the street and see someone standing in his door, looking out at the rain, as impressed by nature as I.
I have felt defeated lately, by the heat, by the awareness that the honeymoon is over and I simply have to face things.the rain, oddly, is cheering me up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home