Where Kathleen adores the minuette, the Ballet Russes and Crepes Suzette, well, Robin loves her rock and roll, a not-dog makes her lose control -- what a crazy pair!

Monday, July 16, 2007

Denver survival tip # 5,280

Take that, New York: We've got crazies here too.

Other than that, things are slow and serene here a mile above the sea, except that it is HOT. I find that I eat little these days; most of my caloric intake is of the liquid kind. Whatever I can get my hands on -- water, soda, smoothie -- if it is cold, I will take it. Most days (even hot ones) I enjoy warm water with lemon, but today I just haven't had the heart.

It occurred to me this morning, as I was watching a travel show about Macchu Picchu*, that I should talk a little about altitude sickness. (Maybe I have done this at some point. I've been so tired lately. Maybe my brain is leaking.) At any rate, the host was fighting the effects of altitude sickness, stopping and taking rests and drinking lots of water. Smart girl, because that is exactly what one should do when facing altitude sickness.
Altitude sickness is a reality here, too, certainly in the mountains but also (to a lesser extent) in Denver itself. When you come to visit our fair city, be sure to drink lots and lots of water. And just when you think you've had enough, have some more. You may find yourself getting tired more easily, or getting a lot of headaches. When that happens, sit down and take it easy. And ... wait for it ... have some water. If you don't heed your body's signals, you're likely to start throwing up. You don't want that. Double up again on the water if you plan to have much coffee or alcohol -- better still, until you know how your body handles the lack of air here, lay off altogether.
(A related aside: A few weeks ago, while my mother and I were both sick, one of my good friends here -- fit and athletic, not quite 30 -- was rushed to the ER because he appeared to be having a heart attack. He was blacking out, having pain on his left side, the whole bit. Turned out, he was dehydrated and had had too much coffee that day. And he's lived here for a while. Word to the wise, dear readers.)
All this, of course, makes the heat that much more thirstifying. Now I will leave you and get some more water.

*According to Wikipedia, Macchu Picchu is 7,970 feet above sea level. Obviously that is higher than Denver, but not higher than many places around here. It's nothing to live 8,500 or 10,000 feet above sea level just a half-hour or so from here. That's probably the elevation of most of the places where we take little day trips.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home